Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Forced to take Anthrax Vaccine



Today I finally went to the Doc to see about my neck. I hurt it doing mixed martial arts about a week ago, and I've had headaches and muscle spasms and stiffness ever since. Doc put me on muscle relaxers and then told me I had to get your third anthrax shot. I said, "Sure, but what kind of weird concoction do I get to inject you with?" He just kinda looked at me funny. I said, "Na- I think I'm good on the anthrax, Doc." "What do you mean?" "I'd rather not take it." That's all it took, and he blew up. "You don't have a choice in the matter! Army policy says that blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah." Any time people start a sentence with "Army policy..." I quit listening immediately. Not only that, but his tone was all wrong. There's a certain way to talk to me, and he was nowhere close. I don't give a shit if he's a doc or a fucking brain surgeon or a goddamn astronaut that does medical experimentation in his spare time, with that "you're gonna do what I say" attitude, combined with the proposition that he gets to stick me with a needle full of some kinda experimental and unnecessary vaccine just doesn't fly with me. I'm not having it. He continued his rant, so I decided I should really piss him off. "Well the last doc I spoke to told me two shots is all you get and you're done. I trust his medical opinion." "Oh no! You get more than two. Not two- six! That's how it's always been!" "Well, the other doc is a lot older, so I'm kinda leaning towards his opinion. Plus, I've got a good immune system, and there's never been an Anthrax attack in Iraq. So you can save the shot for someone that wants it." "You don't have a choice! It will be an Article 15 if you don't take it!" "If it comes to that, I'll deal with the repercussions. What's the worst they can do- send me to war?" "You're not leaving this office without the shot." "Bye sir." He was furious. Within a matter of minutes he had contacted my commander. My first sergeant got the email and came over to ask me about it. After much deliberation and the threat of a dishonorable discharge, I capitulated. But not without informing him that I couldn't let myself take the shot willingly. This was not my finest hour, by any means. Back in the day I would have told all of them to fuck off and stuck to my guns. When I went back upstairs to the medical clinic I asked the doc for his first name. He asked me why and I told him so I know who to blame when five years from now I've got retarded, disfigured children. I said when I left, "Glad to be part of your science experiment." Asshole. Just a side note...I tried to look up the name of the manufacturer of the vaccine and couldn't find the company name associated with anthrax on any of 10 searches I did.

-Cyrus

No comments: