Sunday, September 14, 2008

The "Last Resort" crowd



In order to take some of the burden off of Cyrus (he's fighting a war for Gods sake....plus I think he's off to buy some more apricot face scrub) I decided to add my perspective to this blog. With out going in to too many details I'll tell you that I am a military recruiter. I won't be going to Iraq, and interestingly enough, of all the people who I've drugged, lobotomized, and forced to sign on the dotted line (at gun point, of course) only one or two have them have deployed to Iraq.

My battles are different from Cyrus. He gets shot at by wild-eyed Islamic goof-balls, and I get Diet Coke flung at me when I walk into a community college (and I was there to sign up for a class...I wasn't even trying to recruit anyone). I did get approached by a few students, most of them asking if I had any free No. 2 Pencils. The general consensus with many people at this school was that they would give school a chance, and enlist only as a last resort. That always struck me as odd...if you can't make it through a state-funded community college, what makes you think you can make it in the military? Think about this: as you sit there reading this, would you have a clean urinalysis? Could you pass the ASVAB (it's a tenth-grade level test....MOST people who take it do not pass)? Do you have perfect vision and hearing? Have you been surgery free (that INCLUDES lasik eye surgery) for the last ten years? If you answered "no" to any of those questions then you won't even get a chance to see if you'd make it through "Boot Camp".

So, to the "last resort" crowd; If you've reached "that point" in your life, it's probably already too late.

-Chuck B.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Yeah, it's getting a lot harder to qualify for enlistment - definitely not the "go to jail or join the Army" crowd of yesteryear. You actually have to study for the ASVAB now...